By Dr. Kelly Smith
Congratulations to the Class of 2014! The weather was outstanding for our 2 p.m. Graduation Ceremony on Sunday at the High School as 114 graduates proudly received their diplomas from school officials. Best wishes to all graduates with your future plans!
Congratulations to our girl’s track team for their runner-up finish at the State Track Meet on Friday and Saturday. The Tigers finished with 32.75 points behind team champion Minneapolis Edison with 40. Jenna Gatz captured the 400 M Dash individual title and placed ninth in the 100 M Dash to lead all point getters for the Tigers. In the pole vault, Bridget Egan finished second with a vault of 10’6” and sister Shannon claimed ninth place. Janessa Meuleners place sixth in the 3200 M Run and the 4 x 400 M Relay team of Amara Meyer, Alissa Schultz, Haley Leger and Jenna Gatz place sixth as well. Amara Meyer tied for eighth place in the high jump to finish out the scoring. Great season girls!
Good luck to Josiah Barringer as he competes this weekend in the MSHSL Trap Shooting State Tournament in Prior Lake. Josiah placed in the top 100 shooters statewide (and has scored a perfect 25 of 25 this year) to qualify for this event.
As we begin summer schedules, it is easy for students to regress in their learning over the course of the summer. Recent studies have indicated that students who step away from reading or math activities for the summer may lose 3 months to 6 months of their learning over that time. Please keep your child reading and/or math activities to help maintain their level of learning. Advice for keeping children actively engaged in learning in the summer is available from many sources including the following:
- Scott County Library is offering their summer reading program called Bookawocky once again. Visit the Belle Plaine Library, go to the Scott County Library site or check out the website bookawocky.org for more information.
- U.S. Department of Education, ed.gov, offers advice and ideas, also follow it @usedgov on Twitter and check the department’s Facebook page.
- The Minnesota Department of Education offers advice and opportunities to register for summer reading and math programs at education.state.mn.us; click on Summer Learning Opportunities under the Just for Parents tab.
- kids.gov, offering arts and crafts projects to engage kids’ minds
- aaamath.com, math activities categorized by grade level and type of activity
- ixlmath.com, math and language arts lessons by grade, with information about how activities fit into each state’s academic standards
- Scholastic.com, offers reading materials, games and blogs
- Hoodamath.com, math games from kindergarten through high school
- Makinglearningfun.com, for early childhood learning
- Spellingcity.com, activities and games to build vocabulary and spelling skills.
- Nga.gov/kids – the National Gallery of Art’s interactive kids’ site.
As always, if you have any questions about school matters, please feel free to call me at 873-2400 or check our website at www.belleplaine.k12.mn.us. You may also find me on Twitter at @BPTiger716. Go Tigers!